Thanks for checking my new cosplay blog! If you have ANY questions, feel free to ask! I will gladly answer, whether it's english, french or spanish!


2012-02-21

Makeup Tutorial - What to use?

I've been asked numerous questions on my Ysera makeup, and I'd like to share what I know with you guys!

First : where can I get makeup that will stay on for cosplays?

Well, it all depends on your location. Since I live in the Montreal region in Quebec, Canada, I knew some specialized shop where I could go. If you are from the same region, I highly recommend them to you. It's Makijaz and Image-In. 

The first one is a bit tricky to get to, but it's worth it. They sell everything you need and will be able to help you if you have any questions. Be sure to call then before coming.

The second one is easy to acces by metro, and has more than just makeup : wigs, accessories and costumes. But, be careful, it might not be at the price you are looking for.

If you are outside of Montreal, then the ideal would be to order online. Most makeup compagnies will offer an online shop with shipping.


Second : What products should I buy?

I don't consider myself a makeup expert. If I have questions, I ask some of my friends, like Sandra-Rose and Marie-Perle (thanks girls for all you support! <3 ) or I just experiment. When thinking about Ysera, I knew I didn't want to have a body suit. Mesh bodysuits can be really nice looking if you know what you're doing, and spandez bodysuits will be really amazing if you know how to airbrush. That wasn't my case. So, I opted for makeup!

As a base coat, I used Kyolan Aquacolor.




It's nice and light on the skin if you apply it with a sponge. It might leave small marks when you're done, and that's why we need the second product.

As a cover coat, I used Mehron Starblend.
This makeup can be used WET OR DRY! The white, grey and black can be used dry directly on the skin (that's what we did with Tormantor's Deathwing), but with flashy colors like purple, it didn't look as nice, so that's why I used a base coat first. The Sratblend is a nice final touch, gicing the skin a fleshy and organic texture. Plus, it prevents the water-base makeup under it to reflect light when somebody take a picture with flash.


What I didn't do, and should have, was to SEAL the makeup. It prevents the makeup from rubbing off onto your costume. Here are different types of sealers.


Finally, the lips. Again, it's something I didn't do because I just kept putting my Starblend powder on top, but the lips should be lighter or darker than your skin (depending on the character). The best thing to use is an existing lipbalm or lipstick of the color of your choice. If it exists, good. If it does not, use a, oil based makeup. These don't dry. You will still have to touch up during the day, but at least your lips won't crack everytime your smile!

If you want to see the different colors available in Kryolan Aquacolor or Mehron Starblen, that have colorcharts on their respective websites :

Kryolan : http://www.kryolan.com/en/index.php?cid=109&mnu=32&id=87
Mehron : http://www.mehron.com/StarBlend_Cake_Makeup_p/110.htm

That's all folks!

-YunaDaKilla

1 commentaire: